Sunday, December 16, 2012

Restoran Nurul Iman – Jln. Sultan Mahmud, Kuala Terengganu


My feeling is so nostalgic whenever I eat here, still remember my dad brought me here for lunch, sometimes especially after fetched me from school. Well that was about almost 30 years ago and this restaurant have been around since 80’s. Today I can still see the owner seating at the cashier counter opposite the food preparation section, just like the old days.


soy sauce & chilli







What is so special about Restoran Nurul Iman, is their nasi ayam (chicken rice) and rojak keling. I have no idea and never realize until today if they serve other menu or dishes, the chicken rice really made up my astonish appetite, I believe? In fact it is the best nasi ayam in the city. The chicken rice is just a simple dish but the deliciousness, combination of the soup and the rice are really tasty. The chicken is just like other nasi ayam but it is so yummy whenever you mix with their own made chili and  soy sauce then eat with the rice and soup. They never put the soy sauce and chili together into the chicken when it is served to you because they have the sauce and chili separately on every table and it is up to you how much you want to pour them on the chicken. Otherwise you just pour the soy sauce onto the chicken and just dip the chicken into the poured chili in the small sauce plate.
rojak keling
Nurul Iman serves nice rojak keling as well and both, nasi ayam and rojak are my favorite. I am not sure why it is called rojak keling in Kuala Terengganu, must be long time ago it was sold by the keling in Kampung Tanjung (Tanjung village). It is basically rojak ayam (chicken rojak) or also known as passembur in other state. The Terengganu rojak keling is little bit different from other side of state passembur or rojak ayam, it contains mee kuning (yellow noodle), boiled egg, cut of fried or roasted chicken, besides the fried bean curd, salad, potato and eat with poured kuah kacang or nut gravy sauce. Rojak keling does not have seafood, like squid, etc..

My last couple months ago visit to the restaurant, I think the rice of the nasi ayam is little bit not as delicious as the old days but the soup and the chili are still kicking. Restoran Nurul Iman is just looks like typical restaurant, located at corner lot of wood shop row. The parking space is really limited and make patrons park at the busy narrow roadside and it will be getting worst during lunch hour.      

No comments: